Saturday, May 24, 2014

Walking Across the Stage

Yesterday was a big day.  Our youngest son, Jared, walked across the stage and received his high school diploma!  I'll admit I had tears in my eyes.  How did this happen?  I thought he was just ENTERING high school, and now he's off to college!



This is a year for stages.  Nate, our oldest, stood on the stage and with love and anticipation watched his beautiful bride, Raine, walk down the isle.  Emily is standing in front of the curtain on her stage, ready to draw it back and see all that God has planned for her.




And in this, our 25th year of marriage, Jim and I are preparing to "stage" our home to sell or rent as we prepare to move to Leipzig, Germany. Wow!  This is one of those scenes, where the Director has given us a broad over-view of the parts we'll play, but is still waiting to hand us the scripts.  I don't know what the script will contain, but I am certain that coffee will play a big role in it.

Last year when we were visiting Leipzig for the first time, we met with a man from a local ministry.  He asked what our plans were.  As we shared our vision, we talked about the importance of learning the German language and culture as relationships are of such importance to us as we anticipate ministry.  He listened and said, "So, you will be starting your coffee ministry."

 I liked that!  Coffee speaks to me of relationships.  How often have I told a friend, "Let's get together for coffee!"  It's not the coffee, it's the conversation, the ease with which we can drop our facades and be real.  The abandonment we feel with a coffee cup in our hands as it seems to give us a kind of license to say things you wouldn't normally say.

That's what I'm looking forward to!  Coffee in Leipzig!  Sitting at a little table at the street cafe with a new friend.  Enjoying a cup of coffee on my balcony (that I'm praying my house will have) with a teammate.  Standing in the Ring Cafe after church, enjoying coffee and the high school girls from our youth group.  Looking out over my garden (again in my imagined house) in the early morning, enjoying the cup of coffee Jim has just brought me as I spend time with my very Best Friend, Jesus.

So, as we enter this new "stage" of life, I'm praying it will be one filled with relationships, with shattered facades and an abandonment to share the gospel.  With friends and teammates and quite moments of reflection.  Ah, coffee in Leipzig!   Just what I'm looking forward to!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE your blog name and concept!! Can't wait to read of all the ways coffee will be a part of your new life in Leipzig!! Love that even I will get to come and have coffee with you there!

Coffee in Leipzig said...

Yes! I can hardly wait to have you over for coffee in my new home! :0)

Unknown said...

This reminds me: we need to get together for coffee!

mark foshager said...

I could even ship you some cookies to go with that coffee.

Coffee in Leipzig said...

You better watch out, Mark. Remember what happened last time you mentioned cookies, you ended up having to actually bring them to my porch! We would expect nothing less then for you to bring a plate of them to our porch in Leipzig! :-)

Deb said...

Great idea to blog your life experiences Lina! Love the connection of let's have coffee with relationship...so true. You are most definitely entering into a new season of your life...empty nesters! HAPPY 25 YEARS TO YOU AND JIM!
Loved all the pictures of your young adult children. Loved your dress for the wedding! I'm up for coffee before you leave for Germany for sure! Deb

Deb said...

Deb E from praying ladies small group in case you are wondering Deb who? LOL

Coffee in Leipzig said...

I would love to get together for coffee, Deb. Let's look at some time in June or early July!

Coffee in Leipzig said...

Yeah!!!

Coffee in Leipzig said...

You better watch out, Mark. Remember what happened last time you mentioned cookies, you ended up having to actually bring them to my porch! We would expect nothing less then for you to bring a plate of them to our porch in Leipzig! :-)

Brenda said...

Okay, Lina, I might just have to steal this coffee idea for a blog someday :-) In the mean time, we will have to squeeze in some time for a coffee together this summer before you leave!!

deb said...

Oh Lina, do I miss you! I have been wanting to see you and Jim and meet for lunch for weeks now. How about it? (from Deb Foshager)

Unknown said...

This was a great over-view of your heart and home. Thank you Lina for your great writing and the pictures. We will be praying for all these transitions in your lives. Maybe we will get a change to visit some day?
Nancy

Coffee in Leipzig said...

Definitely come visit us!!!! We will look forward to it! Love you guys!